Intensely satisfying, Chicken Shish is a dish that simply can’t go wrong. It’s bold, exotic flavours wrap succulent meat as chilli sauce and strong garlic soften the bread that wraps the whole lot. Peppery, hot jalapeños and tangy macerated onions add plenty of zing to it’s otherwise comforting flavour to complete a meal that never disappoints, whatever the situation.
Bringing back memories of hungry kebab-shop pitstops on drunken walks home in the early hours, this is a dish made for Fredfades & Ivan Ave’s 2015 mellow Hip Hop joint Walking Home. A personal favourite from their joint LP Fruitful on Jakarta records, Ivan Ave weaves relaxed tales of nights out over Fredfades’ excellent beat, a pillowy synth bassline underpinning silky melodies and a laid back break. Trumpet player Kristoffer Eikrem leads the tune out perfectly with rich tones and thoughtful melodies to complete a future Hip Hop classic.
2 Cloves of Garlic
Natural Yoghurt (200g)
1 Lemon (juiced)
2 Red chillis
Tomato puree (2 tsp)
Chilli flakes (2 tsp)
Sumac (2 tsp)
4 chicken breast
Cherry tomato (300g)
Olive oil (2 tbsp)
1 Red Onion
Red wine vinegar (1 bottle)
Sugar (2 tsp)
Pomegranate Molasses (1 tsp)
Rose petals (to serve)
Flatbread (to serve)
Jalapeño peppers (to serve)
Fresh coriander (to serve)
1. To macerate the onion, chop it up and place in a glass filled with the red wine vinegar and the sugar, making sure all the onion is submerged. Simply leave this to soak for around 45 minutes.
2. Mince or finely chop one garlic clove and mix in a bowl with 3 tbsp of yoghurt, the lemon juice and 1 tsp of tomato puree.
3. Add half the spices and ensure that everything's combined well.
4. Toss in the chicken and leave to marinate for 24 hours (if you can!).
5. To make the chilli sauce, mix 100g tomatoes with the chopped chillies, the remaining spices, a garlic clove and the remaining tomato puree. Blend into a sauce.
6. Heat the oven to 180 degrees and heat a frying or griddle pan over a medium heat. Thread the chicken onto metal or wooden skewers (if you're using wood make sure to soak them in water beforehand to prevent them burning). Add the olive oil to the pan and add the chicken to brown on both sides.
7. Transfer the chicken onto a baking tray and place in the oven for around 10 minutes or until the outside is nicely crisp.
8. Serve with the bread, jalapeños, drizzle over the remaining yoghurt and the pomegranate molasses and then sprinkle the rose petals and coriander on top. Place the chilli sauce on the side and drain the macerated onions into a bowl.
9. Enjoy with a cold beer!