BBQ, Healthy, Side, Spread, Summer, Vegetarian
TIME: 30 minutes
A zingy dish full of flavour, these stuffed peppers are a great recipe to have in your summer arsenal. Simple to make with hardly any process, it’s depth of flavours belies the half an hour cooking time. The warm roasted peppers and quinoa tussle with acidic lemon and salty olives for a taste that will have both vegetarians and meat eaters coming back for more. The quinoa thickens it up into what can be a great healthy dinner, but in our opinion it’s best as part of a summer spread. It’s an ideal barbecue accompaniment that you can easily prepare in advance.
Light and fragrant, pair it with the smooth vocals of London based soul group Jungle’s The Heat. A tune for the upcoming summer months, it’s funky break and infectious bass guitar create a playful jam that’s hard not to smile too. Intricately layered atmospherics tie it all together for a tune that just doesn’t get old. It’s the first track from their 2014 self titled debut, but make sure to check out their 2018 follow up For Ever for more of the same.
For the peppers:
Red bell peppers (3 - halved)
Garlic (3 cloves - crushed or grated)
Olive oil (1 tbsp)
Fresh oregano (3 sprigs)
Salt and pepper
Dry quinoa (1 cup)
Balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp)
Pitted olives (1/2 cup)
Toasted pine nuts(2 tbsp - chopped)
Crumbled feta cheese (1/2 cup)
For the Lemon basil tomatoes:
Fresh basil(1 cup - chopped)
Cherry tomatoes(1 cup - halved)
Olive oil (1/2 cup)
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. In a medium size baking dish, toss the peppers with the olive oil, garlic, and a pinch each of salt, pepper and oregano.
3. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are beginning to char.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the quinoa according to package directions until al-dente. Drain and toss with the balsamic vinegar, olives, pine nuts, and feta.
5. Make the lemon basil tomatoes by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl.
6. Stuff the warm quinoa inside the peppers. Drizzle with the lemon basil tomatoes and enjoy!