Potato salad is an unbeatable staple for any spread or bbq, but there’s always a reputation that precedes it as slightly dull – no doubt a result of too many under-spiced, mayo caked spuds over the years. This version, given body and flavour by the spicy chorizo and an extra kick by the healthy serving of mustard, puts that reputation to bed once and for all. At once earthy and fresh, it’s the ideal accompaniment to meats straight from the bbq. Just be careful, many a greedy man has filled his belly on this too early for the main event.
Pair it with the earthy bassline of Hip Hop outfit The Mouse Outfit’s Cut ’em Loose. Blessed by the smooth tones of Layfullstop as well as the soul filled rhymes of KinKai and Berry Blacc, it’s Mancunian display of strength is ideal for a mellow kitchen as the spuds boil. The weight of it’s drums and lightly twinkling atmospherics perfectly compliment the Chorizo and Mint in equal measure.
New Potatoes (5 cups)
Diced chorizo (one ring)
Mustard (3 tsp)
Mayo (3 tbsp)
Red Onion (1/2)
Pepper (1 tsp)
Salt (1 tsp)
Chopped mint (to garnish)
Spring onions (to garnish)
1. Boil the new potatoes for 15-20 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, placed the diced chorizo into a small pan and cook over medium heat until there is a slightly golden crisp on the outside.
3. Once the potatoes and chorizo are cooked, place into a large bowl and leave to cool.
4. Add the red onion, mayo, mustard, pepper & salt.
5. Mix well ensuring the potatoes have been broken up to desired chunks.
6. To finish, sprinkle the chopped mint and spring onions on top and enjoy!